Citizens of European Union
The Ministry of Interior fully adopting the principle of equality and the aims of the European Union to strengthen the protection of the rights and interests of EU citizens, invites all citizens of other EU member states residing in Greece, to exercise their right to vote and to stand as a candidate in the forthcoming municipal elections and elections to the European Parliament of 2014.
The legal basis for exercising these fundamental rights is Council Directive 94/80/EC “Laying down detailed arrangements for the exercise of the right to vote and to stand as a candidate in municipal elections by citizens of the Union residing in a Member State of which they are not nationals” and Directive 93/109/EC “Laying down detailed arrangements for the exercise of the right to vote and stand as a candidate in elections to the European Parliament for citizens of the Union residing in a Member State of which they are not nationals”, which were incorporated into Greek law by P.D.133/1997 as amended and is in force and Law 2196/1994 respectively.
Citizens of the Union shall not exercise the right to vote and to stand as a candidate in regional elections, but only in municipal elections and elections to the European Parliament, as defined in the above directives.
For additional information, interested EU citizens can consult the sections “Municipal and Regional Elections” and “Elections to the European Parliament” of this website. They can also contact the municipality where they reside, the One Stop Shops (KEP) and the Directorate of Elections of the Ministry of Interior (tel.: 213 1361252, 213 1361135 and 213 1361128 /e-mail: e.atmatzidou @ ypes.gr , p.ponirou @ ypes.gr and th.garoufalis @ ypes.gr).
- They reside in Greece and will reach the age of 18 years in the election year (until December 31 of that year). In the 2014 elections to the European Parliament, those born on or before 31.12.1996 are eligible to vote
- They have not been deprived of the right to vote both in Greece and in the Member State of Origin
- They have been registered on the special electoral rolls of the municipality of their residence by February 28, 2014
- they reside in Greece
- they have passed the age of 25 years on the election day
- they have not been deprived of the right to stand as a candidate in their home
- Name, surname, father’s name, title and address
- Written acceptance of candidature
- A formal declaration
- They are registered on the special electoral rolls of the municipality (stating the name of the municipality) where they reside
- They have not been deprived of the right to vote in Greece
- Any impediment to eligibility as referred to in Law 1180/1981, article 2 do not apply
- If serving in the public sector, they are not obliged to remain in service for a specified period of time
- Their nationality, date and place of birth, last address in the home Member State and their address in Greece
- That they have not been deprived of the right to stand as a candidate in their home Member State through an individual judicial decision or an administrative decision provided that the latter can be subject to judicial remedies.
- The electoral roll of the municipality or the community or the region or the electoral district in their home Member State on which their names were last entered
- That they are not standing as a candidate for elections to the European Parliament in any other Member State, or in Greece for any other political party or coalition
- The date from which they have been nationals of a Member State
- A Photocopy of a valid identity document (passport or identity card)
- the municipal authority in their place of residence
- The Directorate of Elections / Ministry of Interior (Phones: 213 1361252, 213,1361135, 2131361128 and 2131361132 and e-mail addresses: email@example.com, p.ponirou@ypes,gr and firstname.lastname@example.org )
- The One Stop Shops (KEP) The Embassy or the Consulate of their home Country Member in Greece.