Dear citizens of the European Union,
Undoubtedly the active participation of EU citizens in the decision-making processes both at European and local levels has always been a basic orientation and firm objective of the European Union, which seeks to protect its citizens' rights and interests through the adoption of the proper measures .
The institution of EU citizenship, recognizes the right of all citizens to elect and be elected in European Parliament and local elections for citizens of the Union residing in a Member State of which they are not nationals.
The Hellenic Ministry of Interior fully adopting the principle of equality and non-discrimination between nationals and non-nationals, calls all European Union citizens residing in Greece to exercise their institutionally established civil rights in the European Parliament elections.
All EU citizens residing in a member state of which they are not nationals and wishing to exercise their right to vote in the European Parliament elections are required to be registered in the special electoral roll established in their municipality or community of residence.
To register in the electoral roll, citizens are required to report to the municipal or community authorities of residence and produce their passport or identification card and fill out a registration application - statement. For the European Parliament elections of 7th June 2009, the deadline for the registration in the electoral roll, is on 3 March 2009.
EU citizens wishing to vote for combinations and candidates of their own country should contact their Embassy or Consulate authorities in Greece.
All EU citizens wishing to exercise their right to be elected must be at least 25 years of age and not deprived of their civil rights at their member state of origin and Greece.
In order to exercise the right to be elected, these EU citizens must submit a candidate proposal including the same supporting documents as national candidates as well as the following:
- A solemn declaration stating:
- their nationality and address in Greece
- the electoral roll of the municipality or community or district or election precinct where they were last registered in the member state of origin
- that they are not running as candidates for the European Parliament election in other member state or in another party's candidate list or political party coalition in Greece
- the date as of which they are nationals of a member state
- Certificate issued by the competent administrative authorities of the member state of origin stating that they have not been deprived of the right to be elected in that member state. The candidacy is declared inadmissible should this certificate not be submitted.
- A photocopy of their passport or ID card.
For additional information, please contact:
- The Ministry of Interior Elections Directorate. Tel.: 210 3741132, 210 3741131, 210 3741311, 210 3741300 and 210 3741130.
e-mail: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Embassy or Consulate of the member state of origin in Greece
- The municipality or community of residence
- Any Citizen Service Centre (KEPs)
- The call center 1500